JK8418 a Leyland Lion LT9 was delivered to Eastbourne in 1939. No 12 was the second
of a batch of 15 Leyland Lion LT9’s fitted with Leyland 32 seat bus bodies. Whilst
all the other vehicles of the batch were requisitioned for military service within
two years, No.12 remained, later becoming the last Leyland Lion in municipal service.
Converted from petrol to diesel in 1954, No.12 received an oil engine from an even
older machine, an ex-Southdown Leyland TS7 Tiger of 1935, the engine that it still
Peter Bryden, the current owner has been associated with the vehicle since her withdrawal
from service in 1967 as a founder member of the Eastbourne Lion Preservation Group.
Peter became sole owner in 1984 and the bus has become a regular attendee at rallies
No 12 has operated in service since the start of the Eastbourne Running Days in 2006.
Whilst municipal bus operation may have ceased in Eastbourne, the Lion is one of
a few survivors from a bygone age when Eastbourne Corporation reigned supreme.