42 was delivered to Eastbourne in June 1951 and is one of a batch of 8 identical
Regent Mk III’s with bodywork by the Welsh firm Bruce.
In 1971 it was sold to the Eastbourne Regent Preservation Group (ERPG). Following
a period of storage at the Derby City Transport depot, 42 moved back to Eastbourne
in the mid-1970s, but in the early 1980s it was stored out of use.
In 1996 a replacement engine was located, via an advert in a trade magazine, at a
gliding club near Ringmer in East Sussex.
The ERPG was re-formed with a new group of owners and the bus moved to the City of
Portsmouth Preserved Transport Depot in 1996. The replacement engine was fitted and
a repaint was carried out by Southampton City Transport in 1998.
With the closure of the Old Portsmouth premises in March 2003, 42 went into storage
but a permanent home has now been found.
42 is a regular attendee at rallies in the South of England and a frequent visitor
to its home town. It is currently the only operational double-deck Bruce-bodied motorbus
in the British Isles.
Posing outside the Eastbourne Miniature Steam Railway in July 2008 (Steven Wood)
Taking part in the Weymouth Bus Rally in 1978 (Clive Wilkin Collection)
Departing from Eastbourne Station ready to take up service on route 6 on the occasion
of the 2009 running day (Steven Wood)
Captured at the Hydneye terminus in Hamden Park Eastbourne in 1977 (Clive Wilkin)
Heading along the seafront towards the Foot of Beachy Head on the 2010 Running Day,
August 1st (Steven Wood)